A collection of secondary sources and news reports that would be especially good for use in the classroom.
- Salguero, Pierce. 2020. “How do Buddhists handle coronavirus? The answer is not just meditation.” The Conversation https://theconversation.com/how-do-buddhists-handle-coronavirus-the-answer-is-not-just-meditation-137966
- Salguero, Pierce. 2020. “Buddhist Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Historical Perspective.” Buddhistdoor Global https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/buddhist-responses-to-the-covid-19-pandemic-in-historical-perspective
More specific topics
- Borchert, Thomas. 2020. “Why Buddhist monks collect alms and visit households even in times of social distancing.” The Conversation https://theconversation.com/why-buddhist-monks-collect-alms-and-visit-households-even-in-times-of-social-distancing-128452
- Chia, Jack Meng-Tat. 2020. “Cyber Dharma: Celebrating E-Vesak in Singapore.” CoronAsur: Religion and COVID-19 https://ari.nus.edu.sg/20331-10/
- Lowe, Bryan. 2020. “Protection without Punishment: Turning to the Buddhist Gods during COVID-19.” The Immanent Frame https://tif.ssrc.org/2020/06/25/protection-without-punishment
- McLaughlin, Levi. 2020. “Japanese Religious Responses to COVID-19: A Preliminary Report.” The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus 18.3 https://apjjf.org/2020/9/McLaughlin.html
- Schedneck, Brooke. 2020. “5 Buddhist teachings that can help you deal with coronavirus anxiety.” The Conversation https://theconversation.com/5-buddhist-teachings-that-can-help-you-deal-with-coronavirus-anxiety-134320
- Schedneck, Brooke. 2020. “Buddhist monks have reversed roles in Thailand – now they are the ones donating goods to others.” The Conversation https://theconversation.com/buddhist-monks-have-reversed-roles-in-thailand-now-they-are-the-ones-donating-goods-to-others-142899
- Schonthal, Benjamin and Tilak Jayatilaka. 2020. “Religion amid the Pandemic: A Buddhist Case Study,” in Victor V. Ramraj (ed.) Covid-19 in Asia: Law and Policy Contexts (New York: Oxford University Press). Academia.edu.
- Winfield, Pamela D. 2020. “A meditation on Buddhism in the time of pandemic.” Today at Elon https://www.elon.edu/u/news/2020/04/07/pamela-winfield-a-meditation-on-buddhism-in-the-time-of-pandemic/